Classic Oils was established in 2002, and since then has matured into a company offering a complete range of lubricants, coolants, fuel treatments and other consumables for all classic, veteran and vintage vehicles, including motorcycles, steam vehicles and earlier diesel engines.
In 2010 we opened a retail shop in Aylesbury, which enabled – for the first time – our wide range of products to be accessed and purchased without an appointment. We added e-commerce to this website in 2011, which enabled online purchasing for the first time.
During the summer of 2015, we opened premises at Bicester Heritage, an ex-RAF site which is now a centre of excellence for classic motoring and aviation. We launched our own label range with ‘Heritage 20w50’ to celebrate our presence at Bicester, and were appointed Penrite’s Master Distributor for UK and Ireland in December 2016. In February 2017, the business moved solely to Bicester Heritage allowing us to concentrate our stocks and expertise in a single location.
In 2018, the company acquired fuel additive manufacturer Tetraboost, and announced a strategic partnership with Car SOS‘s Fuzz Townshend, which included rebranding the company to incorporate his name and image into the logo.
The products stocked by Classic Oils provide older engines with increased protection levels, more consistent oil pressure and reduced sludge deposits. Racing engines of all ages can benefit from the latest oil additive technology and the best synthetic blends. In gearboxes and transmissions, a range of products is always stocked to suit every type of gear design and bearing material. Most importantly, knowledgeable advice is on hand to discuss difficult lubrication questions, specifically as they relate to older vehicles.
Companies that we are proud to represent include:
- Classic Oils our own range of oils, anti-freeze and greases including top-selling Heritage 20w-50.
- Penrite manufactures a range of very high quality blends at their Melbourne Australia facility, including some very broad-spectrum classic multigrades, in two varieties for cars with and without oil filtration.
- Tetraboost – a range of fuel additives including the only source of Tetra Ethyl Lead (TEL) to raise the octane of your fuel up to 106 if required
- Morris Lubricants of Shrewsbury manufacture excellent value oil blends for vehicles of all ages and types, including steam oils.
- Millers Oils is another British company, with a wide range of lubricants including semi- and full-synthetics for classic vehicles and their famous Mini oil.
- Castrol Classic Oils still produces many blends recommended by name in the original vehicle handbooks.
- Duckhams newly relaunched oil brand, synonymous with the development of multigrade oils in the 1960’s, and still green!
- Silkolene is a division of Fuchs lubricants, but has over 100 years experience in producing quality lubricants in the UK
- Red Line is an American oil company, which produces Water-Wetter and excellent synthetic gear oils
- Evans produces a range of waterless coolants which eliminate corrosion and boiling
Virtually every product requirement is met by these manufacturers for engine, transmission, dampers, steering boxes, gearboxes, carburettors, 2 and 4-stroke motorcycles, and others. In addition a range of grease products are offered for water pumps, bearings, rubber and other specialist purposes.
Television personality and classic car expert Fuzz Townshend is your source for all things Liquid for your business and retail. Whether it’s specialised lubricating oil, cooling products or engine additives they have everything you need for your business or customers.
Our Insight programme offers laboratory analysis of your motor oil to assess engine health and predict component failure. The scheme ensures that the levels of over 20 contaminants, additives, and metals present in engine oil are measured at every oil change. The results are plotted on a graph, which over time will indicate areas of concern before they risk causing secondary damage.
Areas reported on include:
- Viscosity: How degraded is your oil?
- Copper, tin and lead: Indicative of plain bearing failure
- Glycol: Reveals Cylinder Head leaks before ‘mayonnaise’ emulsification becomes visible
- Iron: Drive gears, bore wear
- Aluminium: Piston wear
- Silicon: Shows problems with the air filter
- Fuel/soot: Is poor mixture control harming oil life?
The service is offered in hand with selected purchases of oil, so the package price includes 5 or 10 litres of engine oil, a sample bottle, prepaid postage to the laboratory, individual results analysis and storage of the results. Analysis records will be kept for every car in the programme, and are even transferrable to new owners. The longer a car is on the programme, the more useful the data becomes, as it is trend data that is most important.
The scheme is useful if you choose to sell your Classic, because a history file including evidence of consistent oil analyses, could provide buyers with a really good level of confidence about the car’s engine.
With the continuing changes to fuel and lubricants such as Ethanol becoming a concern for many, Classic Oils Ltd will provide SVA members with advice, products and much more. You are very welcome to call into our shop or order online or by phone on 01869-227062; or you can purchase from the many Shows and Autojumbles that we attend every year – payment can be made by cash, card or Paypal. We are VAT registered and VAT receipts are supplied with all internet and shop purchases, and on request at shows.